Spires

Dearbought History

Below is an excerpt from "History of Frederick County, Maryland" by T.J.C. Williams Titsworth & Co, Publishers, 1910. Vol II, Pages 1246-7

Sebastian Derr, who was descended from an old family of Bavaria, Germany, was the ancestor of the family in America. He came from the Palatinate to this country on the ship, "James Goodwill", landing in Philadelphia, Pa. , September 11, 1728. From that city he went by water to Alexandria and settled there, purchasing lands in that vicinity. Later he removed to Frederick, MD. He was a Protestant refugee, and was one of the founders of the Reformed Church in Frederick. Two of his sons first settled on land in Rock Bridge County, VA and later removed to Kentucky.

Sebastian Derr purchased, in 1755, a tract of land on the west bank of the Monocacy river, called Dearbought, a part of the Dulaney lands. This place has been handed down from generation to generation until the present day, being one of the few farms in Frederick County to remain in the same family for so many years. The old Derr home, which is still standing on the right side of the Frederick and Woodsboro pike, was built of logs and stone, by Sebastian Derr in 1755, and is one of the oldest land marks in the county. It was commodious enough to accommodate a good sized family, containing ten rooms, besides garrets and cellars.

The house in which Eugene Derr now lives was also built by Sebastian Derr for one of his sons in 1775. It is built entirely of stone, with oak and walnut timber found on the place.

Sebastian Derr died in 1802, and was buried in the old graveyard back of the old Reformed Church (now Chapel), situated on Church Street, Frederick City, MD